Church of St George  

The Church of the Blessed Virgin's Protecting Veil (Pokrova Bozh'ei materi) is also known as the Church of St George on the Pskov hill, 1657-8. The adjacent bell tower is from 1818. It is also called "Pokrova on the hill" since this part of Varvarka street was called Pokrovski by the Varvarka Gate. It was also called "By the old terem" since the Gosudar's Terem palace was located nearby. The whole length of Varvarka street is on the hill where Ivan III settled the merchants he exiled from Pskov.


Return to Xenophon. Return to Ruscity. Return to Rushistory. Return to Ukraine.