The Petrovski Palace is on the extension of
Tver bulevard, the road to St Petersburg, northwest of central Moscow. It is
opposite the famous Khodinski field, site of the disaster on the corronation of
Nicholas II. It was built for the convenience of Empress Catherine II as a
short rest stop during her journey between St Petersbug and Moscow. The name
comes from the Petrov village located here. It in turn was the property of the
Visokopetovski Monastery. During Catherine's trip to Moscow in 1775 for the
celebration of the signing of the Kuchu-Kainardji Peace signifying the defeat
of Turkey, she indicated a desire for a rest stop. At that time the celebration
was also to take place at Khodinski field. Work lasting 7 years was immediately
begun. She first stayed at the palace in 1787. The palace was built by Matvey
Feodorovich Kazakov, whose work we see throughout Moscow. He used red brick
with white decorations in a combination of Rococo and Gothic designs. The
interior of the two story palace includes a large circular hall lighted by
upper windows. There is a circular hall in the style of French King Louis XVI.
In the 19th century the palace served as the stopping point for the new
emperors to prepare for their grand processions into Moscow for their
But before that, the palace served another purpose. During the great fire in
Moscow in 1812 Napoleon fled the Kremlin and stayed at this palace for a few
days to contemplate his next moves. But the palace didn't escape damage either.
The second floor was damaged. The palace was restored in 1840.