Cathedral of Transfiguration in Monastery of
Savior and St Euthymus. The corner of the belltower is at the right edge of the
photo. The cathedral began with a smaller Church of Our Savior in 1507 built
over the grave of Saint Euthymus. The facade of this church is divided by
pilasters and the roof is above zakomaras. There is a small but lovely dome.
Then, in 1594 the Cathedral was built with four pillars and five domes with the
original church attached as a chapel. This chapel was renamed for St Euthymus.
Inside are fine icons painted by artists brought from Kostroma under direction
of Gury Nikitin and Sila Savin. Prince Dmitri Pozharsky, who led the Russian
militia that freed Moscow and Russia from the Polish invaders in 1612 was a
native of Suzdal and is now burried in the family vault here. By coincidence
the first False Dmitri, whose invasion began the Time of Troubles is reputed to
have come from heree as well.