The Frederik Astagver (Portovaya) Tower (# 22
) was built in 1386. It is located to the west of the corner tower in the lower
wall and was connected to it by the wall across the entrance to the port. The
purpose was to block enemies from bypassing the city and fortress and gaining
the seacoast behind the fortress. So it is actually outside the circumference
of the outer fortress walls. This photo is taken from the path leading to the
seaport while looking back landward to the southwest of the fortress.