Close up view of upper wall from Consul's
Tower past Georgievski to upper unnamed Towers, opposite from view # 37. The
entrance door is in the Georgievski tower. This side of the wall is inside the
medieval town, but it was designed to be defended from the other side - the
narrow space between wall and cliff - as a line of last resort. It served the
purpose in 1475 when the Turkish artillery made short work of the lower
defensive walls. But ultimately it too fell and the last defenders escaped by
sliding down ropes to the waiting ships.