plaque on Pokrovski cathedral  

Plaque with description of the Pokrovski (Intercession of the Blessed Virgin) Cathedral, 1671-79, built by Kostroma builders led by master Ivan Kuznechik of stone to take the place of a wooden shatrovski (tent) church on the Romanov estate at Izmailovo. The plaque notes that in 1839 two wings were rebuilt to the north and south portals. The architest K. Ton was involved. The cathedral was also restored in 1840's, 1946-50, 1958-61 and 1977-85.


Return to Xenophon. Return to Ruscity. Return to Rushistory. Return to Ukraine.