Peter the Great's Kunstkammera museum,
founded in 1714, across the Neva river. It is the pale green building with the
tower. Its central exhibits were curiosities and freaks, many embalmed. There
now is also a museum of Anthropoligy and Ethnography that has one of the finest
collections of North American native culture. Next on the left is the facade of
the Academy of Science building. It was founded in 1724. The Neo-Classical
building was designed by Quarenghi between 1784 and 1787. Not seen is a statue
of Lomonosov to the left of the photograph.