Central section of the Great Palace at
Pavlovsk - Begun in 1782-86 with original design by Cameron based on a Roman
villa. It was too small and was expanded in 1796-99 by Vincenzo Brenna who
added a 2nd story to the galleries and pavilons and then extended the curved
wings. The Central bloc is neo-Classical in style with three stories and a
cuploa with 8 corinthian columns in the portico. The cupola is a colonnaded
drum with flattened dome. This provides windows that bring light into the
Italian room below.