{short description of image}  

The Alexander Tuchkov Savior Monastery built by his wife in memory of General Tuchkov IVwhose body was never found after he died on the battlefield. He disappeared while leading a counter attack of the Revelskii Infantry Regiment near this spot by the rearmost of the three fleches. One of his brothers also was killed in this battle and another was wounded at Smolensk. Margarita Mikhilovna Tuchkova spent her remainding life memoralizing her lost husband. First she built The Church of the Savior as the first monument constructed on the battlefield. The church was later expanded into the Borodino Savior Monastery (convent) in 1838 of which Margarita was the first mother superior. The buildings were damaged during the battle here in WW II and restored in 1962. It is now an active monastery.


Return to Xenophon. Return to Ruscity. Return to Rusarmy. Return to Rushistory. Return to Ukraine.